The "Log Cabin" at Narberth and Haverford avenues was a local landmark from 1912 or 13 until March 1925 when it was demolished to make way for the Merion Title and Trust building, which still occupies the site in 2017. The community also lost a second landmark, overlooked at the time, in that project. 12 Avon Road, "adjacent to the log cabin site, will be wrecked next week", had been the home of Robert and Elizabeth Wood. On January 31, 1921 Mrs. Wood started the Narberth Community Library in the house with 18 books arranged on a window-sill.
Our Town, March 14, 1925
Log Cabin Wrecked for New Bank
Attractive Local Landmark a Victim of Progress
Workmen began on Tuesday of this week to tear down the log cabin at the corner of Narberth and Haverford avenues, and by the end of the week little of the familiar landmark remained.
The building, one of the most attractive features of the borough, was constructed more than a dozen years ago by W. D. Smedley and was used as his office. When he moved to his new building the log cabin was occupied for a time by several teachers of the Narberth schools. Last summer it was the office of Our Town.
Many comments were heard expressing regret at the passing of a structure which lent an air of distinction to the business section and fully a score of persons were heard asking the workmen why the building couldn’t be moved to some more suitable place. Many wanted to take it out in the woods somewhere as a retreat.
The demolition is to make way for the erection of the new building of the Merion Title and Trust Company, which will be begun shortly. The house on Avon road, adjacent to the log cabin site, will be wrecked next week as soon as the present occupants move. This latter building was formerly used as a tea room and later as a shop.
The site, while in the Narberth business district, is actually not in the borough, but is a part of Merion. The trust company has chosen this location due to the fact that its charter does not permit it to continue its branch in Narberth even though the borough is geographically within the township.
The existence of this wedge offered a solution of the technicality involved, and the company purchased the corner, abandoning their plan of building on the Y. M. C. A. corner or of remodeling the Y. M. C. A. building.