Skip to content
Views of Narberth Past

Tracks to Elm, 1861

Zoom in →

Image source: Collection of the Lower Merion Historical Society

modern view of the historical image seen from the same viewpoint
8 Feb 2017

The Pennsylvania Railroad tracks looking towards Elm station, possibly before the 1870 construction of the present station at Wynnewood. The photo is dated 1861 by John Hepp in The First 300 (Lower Merion Historical Society, 2000).

Notice the Haverford and Merion road crossing over the two tracks and running along their left in the middle distance. Two more tracks were added and the street routed through the N. Wynnewood Ave. underpass in 1879.

Although not photographed in Narberth, this view shows the future Narberth on the horizon.