Scientific American, Architects and Builders Edition (November 1890)
We present on page 80, a house erected at Elm Station, Montgomery County, Pa., by Mr. C. W. Macfarlane, the architect. Dimensions: Front, 33 ft., side, 47 ft. 6 in., not including piazza. Height of ceilings: Cellar, 7 ft.; first story, 9 ft. 6 in.; second, 9 ft.; third, 8 ft. 6 in. This house is distinctly colonial in treatment, and has many pleasing features. First story of field stone, laid at random; second story shingled and painted colonial yellow, with white trimmings. Roof shingled and painted red. One of the attractive features is the arcaded effect between library and hall; the latter containing an ornamental staircase with cherry columns running to ceiling. Staircase and hall lighted by stained glass window. The quaint effect of the interior is heightened by being painted old ivory white (china glass) with a little gilt, with the exception of dining room, which is trimmed with oak. Fireplaces have tiled hearths and mantels to correspond with trim. Floors of hard wood. Kitchen, laundry, and pantries are trimmed and wainscoted with North Carolina pine, and furnished complete. There are five bed rooms and bath room on second floor, and four rooms on third floor. Bathroom is wainscoted and furnished in the usual manner. Cemented cellar contains a furnace supplied with outside air. Cost, $5,200.
Our engraving was made direct from a photograph of the building taken especially for the SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN.