Old Narberth Home Will be Razed Soon
Service Station to Go Where Wall Residence Stands
House Built in 1888
Harry B. Wall has least to the Socony-Vacuum Oil Company his property at Haverford and Forest avenues, and as a result one of the oldest homes in Narberth will within about a month be razed to make room for a service station.
The house was built early in 1888 by William L. Owens, who was one of the leaders in creating the borough, causing it to secede from Lower Marion Township. His interest in good roads led to his being the first street commissioner for Narberth. He was engaged in the plumbing business and sold out in 1901 to Mr. Wall, who had been in his employ for 8 years.
Mr. Wall has occupied the house for 24 years, the same length of time Mr. Owens had lived there. Mr. and Mrs. Wall and their daughter moved this week to a third-floor apartment next door on Haverford avenue, above the store where White's Sweet Shop was for many years a landmark.
Surveyors started work at the corner house on Wednesday. Mr. Wall will continue his plumbing and heating business at the shop to the rear of the property.
When Mr. Wall bought the property at the turn of the century he paid $10,500. It is rumored he has since turned down an offer of $70,000 for it. Terms of the lease were not disclosed. For some time it was known the American Stores Company was dickering for the lease.
Erection of the service station, which is planned to be attractive in appearance, will represent an investment of about $10,000.