This bucolic view portends transformation, not yet visible but imminent, from farmland to suburban town. The fenced track in the foreground will soon become Price Avenue. Old Lancaster Road, later Montgomery Avenue, runs parallel in the mid-distance, crossed by Old Gulf Road, by 1889 renamed Narberth Avenue.
In front of future Price Avenue are the properties on which the first houses of Elm would be built the year of this photo, the Vauclain-Barrie House (206 Price Avenue) and the T. Broom Belfield house, later the site of Montgomery Court apartments. The borough of Narberth lies only twelve years in the future.