A World War II rally in 1942. Lower Merion Historical Society BS1365Richard II Auto Service Center, c. 2008. Photo by Ted Goldsborough, who worked here in the 1960s.
The 1888 Williams Owens house was succeeded in 1938 in this location by two gas stations. The second one (bottom) was built between 1953 and 1961, based on this 1952-53 aerial photo which shows the older beveled shape, and the 1961 Franklin atlas, which has a rectangle here. The open space afforded by the gas station served for years as an unofficial town square during events.