Primary and secondary source documents which reveal the story of Narberth, presented in several formats:
- As a facsimile of the original document, but with searchable, copyable text.
- A link to the complete facsimile document on another website.
- As a web page. This format is easier to read online than the facsimiles, which were intended for printing. This also allows us to focus on Narberth excerpts from longer documents.
Incorporation of Village of Narberth (1895)
By Aaron S. Swartz. Read the opinion of Presiding Judge Swartz regarding the incorporation of the Borough of Narberth. In rejecting the first petition and amending the second, Swartz established what to this day constitutes the village of Narberth and where its boundaries lie. For example, here is why the east side of the Narberth Avenue bridge approach and the Avon/Anthwyn neighborhood are not part of the borough.
Rural Pennsylvania in the Vicinity of Philadelphia (1897)
By S. F. Hotchkin. "Rural" in 1897 means "suburban" today: descriptions and photographs of the towns, homes, churches and prominent citizens of the Main Line, Delaware county and the brand new borough of Narberth. Here we have excerpted as HTML the book's section on Narberth, including five photographs and one drawing. "WWW" links to a facsimile of the entire book elsewhere online.
Narberth’s Historical Prelude (1905)
By Carden F. Warner. A tour of the area's Indians, settlers and Revolutionary War activity. Notable for its details of the lead-up to borough incorporation, particularly of the Narberth Park development, it fleshes out the names we see on the 1851 - 1896 maps. The author's father was one of the "original purchasers of lots in Narberth Park", at 214. N. Essex.
In 2012, Lynn Warner Wood, the author's grand-niece, lent the book to the Narberth Civic Association for scanning.
Annual Announcement and Handbook of the Young Men’s Christian Association of Narberth, Pennsylvania (1911)
"The glory of young men is their strength. But nearly all are abnormal in one or another particular…" A description, with photos, of the Narberth YMCA's philosophy, facilities, programs and officers, with a recap of 1910, plus local advertisements and a note on the Narberth Library's early years in the building handwritten by founder Elizabeth Wood. 48 4½ × 6-inch pages.
Source: Narberth Community Library
Narberth Day Fête and Historical Pageant (1914)
Before Our Town, before Narbrook Park, the Narberth Day Fête and Historical Pageant was the debut project of the three-month-old Narberth Civic Association. Performed at midsummer 1914, a cast and crew of hundreds celebrated the borough's 20th anniversary with this dramatization of the town's origin story, based on Carden Warner's Narberth's Historical Prelude 1616 - 1895.
Source: collections of the Narberth Community Library and David M. Lockwood.
An account of the origin and development of the Narberth Community Library (1926)
By Robert Fellows Wood, husband of the library founder, Elizabeth Wood, Source: Handwritten legal ledger in the Narberth Community Library, pages 2-8
Our Borough, A 50th Anniversary Report (1945)
A combination annual report and 50th anniversary retrospective, this 64-page, 6 × 9-inch booklet is full of interesting Narberth stories and photos from pre-borough days through 1945. It includes chronological lists of borough officials, and the 1895 Charter of Narberth as a Borough.
Borough of Narberth annual reports (1950-54)
Commemorating the 75th Anniversary of the Borough of Narberth (1970)
A 64-page, 11 × 17-inch "souvenir supplement" to the Main Line Chronicle of October 8, 1970. Although its historical accuracy is not always reliable, it contains a lot of interesting images and of course, contemporary advertising.
By Victoria Donohoe. Chapter 33 of Montgomery County, The Second Hundred Years, published 1983 by Montgomery County Federation of Historical Societies.